Contact Us
Firm Overview
Why Legend Is Different
Client Types
Professional Biographies
Frequently & Rarely Asked Questions
Risk Spectrum
Investment Strategies
Second Opinion
Global Investment Pulse
Event Calendar
Press Center
Legend News
Clients Only
Career Opportunities
Newsletter Sign-up
Site Search
Site Map
Tell A Friend About This Website
Informational Booklets   
Phone: (412) 635-9210
  (888) 236-5960
Connect With Legend:
Subscribe to me on YouTube

Medical Practices Receive Temporary Depreciation Bonus

With the enactment of the Job Creation and Workers Assistance Act of 2000, medical practices buying new property may now take a generous, upfront thirty-percent (30%) depreciation bonus. The offer is available only for a limited time, many states are not allowing the bonus, and some medical practices may come out better from a tax standpoint by not taking the offer at all.

What property is covered by this bonus? Generally, property with a class life of less than 20 years, but there are indeed a few limitations such as certain computer software, qualified leasehold improvement property and water utility property will all apply. The property must be new. Used property does not qualify, except for money used to recondition or rebuild property.[Journal of Financial Planning, August 2002]

An example of how this deduction works is as follows: For instance, a medical practice spends $200,000 on medical equipment with a seven-year depreciable life basis. The first-year standard depreciation by itself would be $28,580. The thirty-percent (30%) bonus depreciation would be $60,000. Because the thirty-percent (30%) bonus is calculated first and the standard depreciation rate is calculated on the remaining seventy-percent (70%), the total first-year write-off is an astounding $80,006!

A medical practice can also parlay the thirty-percent (30%) bonus depreciation with the Section 179 expense deduction, for which the maximum in 2002 is $24,000 ($25,000 in 2003). The $24,000 is taken off the top first, then the thirty-percent (30%) bonus is calculated on the remaining amount. The standard depreciation amount is calculated on the leftovers. In this example, including the full Section 179 expense, the total first-year write-off is $94,405—nearly half of the total cost of the equipment.

The law also throws in a special bonus depreciation for “luxury” vehicles. “Luxury” in this sense is defined as any non-electric car, light truck or minivan used for business that costs more than $15,300. Medical practices could take a maximum $3,060 deduction for these vehicles for 2002. Under the bonus depreciation, the medical practice can take an additional maximum of $4,600, for a total first year deduction of $7,660. Some large passenger vehicles (mostly SUVs) escape these “luxury” auto rules and are entitled to the thirty-percent (30%) bonus depreciation regardless.


For the thirty-percent (30%) bonus and the vehicle deduction, the property must have been purchased after September 10, 2001, and before September 11, 2004. Additionally, it must be placed into service no later than December 31, 2004.

To make sure the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) does not negate some of these benefits, Congress allows the bonus deduction for purposes of computing AMT. However, states have yet to catch the generosity bug. Some states simply do not allow the new bonus and others are taking steps to disallow it.


The intent of the federal bonus is to stimulate business investment. However, keep in mind that though accelerating depreciation with the bonus frees up more cash in the first year for the medical practice, it does not reduce the overall amount that can be depreciated. That total is still limited to the adjusted cost basis.

As previously mentioned, some medical practices may find it more advantageous from a tax perspective to not take the bonus. This might include practices with net-operating loss carryovers about to expire, or those who anticipate a higher tax bracket in future years. But usually it is more advantageous to save taxes today rather than tomorrow, so the numbers will need to be evaluated to see if it really is worth it to elect out.

A practice must specifically “elect out” out of the bonus depreciation if that is the strategy chosen. If the election is made, then the decision applies to all property for that year with that particular election schedule, such as all five-year property or all seven-year property.

Medical practices who bought qualifying property in 2001 (after September 10), but who were unable to take the deduction on their 2001 returns, may want to consider filing amended returns. The IRS recently issued guidelines on how to recoup missed bonus depreciation on 2001 returns.

For Further information on how medical practices can receive a temporary depreciation bonus contact James J. Holtzman, CPA at (412) 635-9210 Extension 19.

©2018 Legend Financial Advisors, Inc.®. All rights reserved.